Vision of RKMVERI
RKMVERI will be a great centre of learning harmonizing the twin excellences of ancient wisdom and modern knowledge in the light of Upanishadic dictum: द्वे विद्ये वेदितव्ये परा चैवाऽपरा च (dve vidye veditavye, para chaivaapara cha, meaning, both secular and spiritual wisdom are to be cultivated). It will strive to create a band of educated men and women of impeccable character and integrated personalities in whom are harmoniously blended the triple faculties of head to think, heart to feel and hands to work, with concentration interpenetrating each of them, through imparting life-building, character-making education.
The aim of the university is therefore to cultivate modern science and technology though rooted in ancient heritage and legacy and to impart life-building, man-making and character-making education.
In Swami Vivekananda’s own words:
- Jate praachin dhaara bojay thake, athacha nutan jnan-vijnaner tar sahit anushilan hoi, emon ekati vishwavidyalay gadbar janya. (Bengali original)
“Keeping the ancient heritage and legacy intact, and yet, cultivating along with it modern science and technology.” (English translation)
- “We must have life-building, man-making and character-making assimilation of ideas.”
- “Brains to conceive, heart to feel and hands to work.”
- “Education is manifestation of perfection already in man.”
Albert Einstein’s views as quoted below are very relevant in this context:
“It is essential that the student acquires an understanding of and a lively feeling for values. He must acquire a vivid sense of the beautiful and of the morally good. Otherwise, he with his specialized knowledge more closely resembles a well-trained dog than a harmoniously developed person.”
The mission of the University is as follows:
- Pursuit of Excellence: To strive for excellence in teaching, research and all academic endeavours.
- Blending of Eastern and Western values: To inculcate ancient values like sacredness of knowledge, shraddha, purity, truth and unselfishness, blending them with predominantly western values like scientific temper, rational outlook, technological efficiency, teamwork, professional integrity and work ethics.
- Social responsibility: To train and educate the youth by fostering social responsibility to become worthy citizens as well as to effectively participate in the enormous task of society building through building of individual character, cast in the mould of harmony and peace.
The objectives of the University are the following:
- To provide for higher education leading to excellence and innovations in such branches of knowledge as may be deemed fit with focus on post-graduate and research degree levels fully conforming to the concept of University, namely, University Education Report (1948) and Report of the Committee on Renovation and Rejuvenation of Higher Education in India (2009) and the Report of the Review Committee for Deemed to be Universities (2009);
- To engage in areas of specialization with proven ability to make distinctive contributions to the objectives of the University education system, that is, academic engagement clearly distinguishable from programmes of an ordinary nature that lead to conventional degrees in arts, science, engineering, medicine, dental, pharmacy, management, etc., routinely offered by conventional institutions;
- To provide for high quality teaching and research and for the advancement of knowledge and its dissemination through various research programmes undertaken in-house by substantial number of full time faculty / research scholars (PhDs and Post-Doctoral) in diverse disciplines;
- To enable creation of Departments and Schools devoted to unique and emerging areas of knowledge, rarely pursued by conventional or existing institutions, particularly in specific areas of study and research regarded as important for strategic needs of the country or for the preservation and dissemination of our cultural and spiritual heritage, so determined by a well laid-out process of wide consultation with eminent peers of academic community;
- To impart, promote, undertake and provide for instruction, training and the study of arts, philosophy, physical and life sciences, engineering and technology, agricultural sciences, environmental sciences, medical sciences, social sciences, relief and rehabilitation, disability management and special education, integrated rural development, environment and disaster management etc., or any other branches of learning as it may deem fit for cultivation and dissemination of knowledge;
- To undertake, promote and provide for research and for the advancement of knowledge in the above mentioned branches and any other branches as it may deem fit and which keep emerging;
- To impart instruction and training, and to promote research, particularly in areas having special bearing on the uplift of the underprivileged sections of the society;
- To impart and provide for instruction, conduct programmes and promote research in areas meant for marginalized and weaker sections of society, the aim here being, inter alia, to give them education and provide them the training adequate for helping them to ‘stand on their own feet’ as envisaged by Swami Vivekananda;
- To strive for the inculcation of higher human values for building up of character in both youths and adults, with a view to raising the quality of life of the people of the country as also of the world at large;
- To train and educate the youth to become worthy global citizens as well as to be able to effectively participate in the enormous task of nation building—in other words, rebuilding India through the building of individual character, cast in the mould of harmony, synthesis and peace.
- To do all such other acts and things as may be necessary or desirable to realize the above objectives and to actualize and further the noble educational goals of Ramakrishna Mission in the light of the pioneering and trend-setting educational vision of its founder, Swami Vivekananda.