|Please share your feedback about the Central Library (Belur)|
Central Library (Belur) online catalogue: click here
The RKMVERI Central Library (at Belur Main Campus) was opened in the year 2005. It was established to accommodate the needs of modern research, housing printed materials and a virtual library. Presently the library has a total of 41,887 books (General and Reference).
Central Library has subscription to 11 international full text e-resources, namely, APS (15 journals) and one database MathSciNet, and registered to SAA for e-books with the help of the ‘UGC-INFONET Digital Library Consortium’ (now ‘e-Shodh Sindhu Consortium’). Central Library has also taken membership of DELNET for e-journals and ‘Down to Earth’ e-magazine (access to its e-resources is IP-based).
Details of Subscriptions / Memberships:
|Details of memberships||Details of subscriptions||Name of service subscribed to||No of e-resources with full text access||Validity period||Whether remote access provided? (Yes / No)|
|APS||Annual||e- journal||15||1 Year||No|
|MathSciNet||Annual||e- journal||1 Database||1 Year||No|
|DELNET||Annual*||e- journal||5000+||1 Year||No|
|SAA||Annual*||e-book||4.5 million pages||1 Year||No|
|DownToEarth||Annual*||E-magazine||full text access||3 Years||YES|
Other relevant information:
Total no. of books that students can borrow from the Central Library:
- MSc (1st yr & 2nd yr) – Big Data Analytics (BDA), Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics: 5 Books
- MSc (1st yr & 2nd yr) – Sports Science & Yoga: 4 Books
- MPhil & PhD – All subjects: 5 books
- MSc/MA and PG Diploma in Yoga: 2 books
- Integrated MA in Sanskrit: 25 books (maximum) at a time, and they can keep them for up to 6 months.
Some notable points regarding the Central Library:
- About 14 computers (with Internet connection) are dedicated for the use of students at any time during the library hours (9:30 am to 9:00 pm).
- With the online catalogue (http://lib.rkmvu.ac.in/), users can search for books from anywhere around the world and can check whether or not a particular book is available.
- Since we have an open access policy, students, researchers, and faculty members are able to browse the shelves themselves and select the books they want.
- Since we issue books with the bar code scanner, there is almost no wait time for issuing books.
- A noise free reading zone has been established for the students in the library.
- A new Career Guidance Section (GATE/NET/JRF etc) has been introduced for the benefit of students, from which they may issue one book from their own quota.
Floor area of the Central Library: 2 floors, each of which is 30m x 30m (i.e. 900 sqm).
Details of modern technologies deployed in the library (like the detector in the main entrance):
RFID and Bar Code technology for streamlining the circulation process, and a user friendly KOHA library management software for easy searching.
Detail of any special types/categories of books or content:
We have 838 rare books on Sanskrit, Philosophy & Religion yet to be catalogued, 129 manuscripts and 352 CD/DVD. We have initiated NPTEL program to facilitate the students e-learning through online Web and Video courses of various streams. There is a new facility started for our users to get remote access of EBSCO e-books (1,70,000+) and a magazine namely ‘DownToEarth’.
The facilities recently introduced (2020 & 2021) in the Central Library:
- Separate Reference section with 1027 books
- Reading room which accommodates 58 users at a time,
- Six more computers (Total – 14) for surfing the internet,
- Installation of RFID and Bar code technology for quick automated circulation to save time for users,
- Installation of Smoke detector with alarm & Fire extinguisher.
- Interior decoration with window curtains.
- Modernization of the Information/Circulation Desk.
- To inspire students, we have placed a portrait of Swami Vivekananda with quotation at the entrance to the library.
- Placement of Low height(3’6”) book racks to allow users to get more space, natural air and light.
- Photocopier cum printer & scanner machine as well as a special high quality scanner installation.
- Filtered drinking water service is available near the entrance to the library.
- Career Guidance Section to provide books and other relevant materials to the students to prepare for competitive exams.
- Automated Library entry is now very time-efficient. To enter the Library, users do not need to sign in manually. Users just have to show their University ID cards (RKMVU) at the entrance.
- New books are being displayed at the New Arrival Section to generate interest in users.
- The Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) informs users of the availability of books and other library resources. Users can search for books through the KOHA library management software
- Printed periodicals / journals section have been introduced.
- Library extended to the 2nd floor to provide more free space and to provide extra study space for students.
- Comfortable seating arrangement has been provided inside the stacks area for individual study.
- For the need of the users a Property counter has been introduced.
- WIFI / Internet facility available inside the library.
The facilities planned to be implemented in the near future:
- To attract users, databases and e-resources will be linked to the Home Page of the University Website.
- Lounge Area for students & faculty members to sit and discuss academic topics in a relaxed way.
- Digital Library Section for users to access information on WWW, E-resources, etc.
- In the Central Library, air-conditioners will be installed to offer conducive environment for the readers as well as a controlled environment for the invaluable books to be preserved.
- Electronic screens at the entrance of the Central Library to display newly procured books.
List of Printed Magazines subscribed (as of academic year 2021-22):
|Name of the Magazines||Language||Periodicity|
|Competition in Focus||English||Monthly|
|Employment News (Newspaper)||English||Weekly|
|Jnan O Vijnan||Bengali||Monthly|
|Kishor Jnan Vijnan||Bengali||Monthly|
|Down To Earth(print + online)||English||Monthly|
|Electronics for You||English||Monthly|
List of e-Journal subscriptions:
|Name of the Journals||Language|
|DELNET||English & Sanskit|
|ANWESH: International Journal of Management & Information Technology||English|
|International Journal of Information Studies and Libraries||English|
|Social Work Chronicle||English|
|International Journal of Business Analytics & Intelligence||English|
|International Journal of Distributed & Cloud Computing||English|
|Journal of Network & Information Security||English|
|International Journal of Knowledge based Computer System||English|
|Journal of Scientific and Technical Research||English|
|Journal of the Ramanujan Mathematical Society||English|
List of Printed Journal subscriptions :
|Name of the Journal||Language||Period|
|Anantaa : Sanskrit Journal||Hindi & English||Bi-monthly|
|Science & Culture||English||Bi-annual|
|ANWESH: International Journal of Management & Information Technology||English||Bi-annual|
|International Journal of Information Studies and Libraries||English||Bi-annual|
|Social Work Chronicle||English||Annual|
|International Journal of Business Analytics & Intelligence||English||Bi-annual|
|International Journal of Distributed & Cloud Computing||English||Annual|
|Journal of Network & Information Security||English||Bi-annual|
|International Journal of Knowledge based Computer System||English||Annual|
|Journal of Scientific and Technical Research||English||Bi-annual|
|Journal of the Ramanujan Mathematical Society||English||Quarterly|
List of e-book subscriptions:
|Name of the e-books||No. of e-books||Language|
|SAA||4.5 million pages||Various|
List of Bibliographical Database subscriptions:
|Name of bibliographical-database||Language|
List of e-Magazine subscriptions:
|Name of e-Magazines||Language|
|Down To Earth||English|
List of e-Library subscriptions:
|Bori Digital Library||Sanskrit & Bengali|