About SWAYAM Platform
SWAYAM is a programme initiated by the Government of India and designed to achieve the three cardinal principles of Education Policy viz., access, equity and quality. The objective of this effort is to take the best teaching learning resources to all, including the most disadvantaged. This is done through an online platform that facilitates hosting of all the courses from Class 9 till post-graduation to be accessed by anyone, anywhere at any time. All the courses are interactive and are available free of cost to any learner.
The courses hosted on SWAYAM are in 4 quadrants – (1) video lecture, (2) specially prepared reading material that can be downloaded/printed (3) self-assessment tests through tests and quizzes and (4) an online discussion forum for clearing the doubts.
SWAYAM Courses List
List of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course) offered on SWAYAM platform changes every semester, so check if a previously offered MOOC is available in present or upcoming semester or not. The current list of available MOOCs can be found on the SWAYAM portal: https://swayam.gov.in/explorer
National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) is a project of MHRD initiated by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Guwahati and Roorkee) along with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 2003, to provide quality education to anyone interested in learning from the IITs. The main goal was to create web and video courses in all major branches of engineering and physical sciences at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and management courses at the postgraduate level.
- Largest online repository in the world of courses in engineering, basic sciences, and selected humanities and social sciences subjects
- Online web portal http://nptel.ac.in – more than 471 million+ views
- Youtube channel for NPTEL – most subscribed educational channel, 1.5 million+ channel subscribers, 819 million+ views, 50000+ Video Hours.
- More than 54000+ hours of video content, transcribed with subtitles
- Most accessed library of peer-reviewed educational content in the world.
NPTEL Online Certification(NOC)
NPTEL web and video courses of more than 23 disciplines are available on the portal https://nptel.ac.in/courses. In 2014, the process of getting certified from NPTEL courses was initiated, so that learners get a tangible end result in the form of a certificate from the IITs/IISc for their effort.
Certification courses are offered twice a year (Jan-Jun, Jul-Dec). Joining a course is free. Anyone can learn from these courses anywhere anytime. No pre-requisites, no age limit, no entrance criteria to enroll.
Learning can be done by watching videos and this is tested by the weekly assignments, that are to be submitted online within the prescribed deadline. Any queries/doubts you may have, you can post in the respective discussion forum, which will be answered by the faculty and his/her team.
There is an optional proctored certification exam that the learner can take for a nominal fee at the end of the course to earn certificates from the IITs. The learner has to be present in person for the exam and currently exams are conducted only in India in about 200+ cities in two shifts. Learner has to appear at the designated exam centre to participate in the exam, where his/her id is verified. 25% of the final marks comes from the Assignments and 75% from the final exam.
The main benefits of participating in an online course under NPTEL are:
- Students: Credit transfer and better resume
- Faculty: Refresher courses, AICTE recognized FDP courses
- Working professionals: For upskilling and reskilling.
For any more clarification / queries, please click here (https://nptel.ac.in/faq).
Quick Links and Information
- View the Online Courses offered by NPTEL: https://onlinecourses.nptel.
- View the Semester Timelines (Course start and end dates, Exam Application dates and Final exam dates) for NPTEL Online Certification(NOC) here: https://nptel.ac.in/semester
- Ongoing NPTEL Live Sessions
spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX- 1vRdbGOLmIhJl6_ 761LRi3OJgFmlSRK7C5qyY0JckLTc2 Jx2d5kbMVrlgJmZ7yb4o0u- mrLDi8baEfK5/pubhtml
- These NPTEL introductory videos will be very helpful:
- To watch a video Introduction to NPTEL and Swayam Courses, methodologies and certifications, visit: https://nptel.ac.in/initiative
- To Learn more about NPTEL Exams and Certification, visit: https://www.youtube.com/embed/
- To Learn more about NPTEL Problem solving and learning sessions: https://www.youtube.com/embed/
- To learn more about how to use the NPTEL Swayam interface for learning online courses, visit: https://www.youtube.com/
- How to enrol in NPTEL MOOC courses?
- List of MOOCs enrolled by a learner can be found in the “My Courses” page on SWAYAM Portal (link is available at the top of page, click on logged-in user-name), Current Link is : https://swayam.gov.in/
- For any clarification or assistance on SWAYAM / MOOCs registration, accessing, etc., contact the SWYAM Mentor for your campus:
- Belur Main Campus: DTC Office, Medha Bhavan,
- Ranchi Campus: Dr. Dipankar Chatterjee,
- Coimbatore Campus: Prof. N. Muthaiah,
- Narendrapur Campus: Dr. Gautam Chatterjee.