|Please share your feedback about the Central Library (Belur)|
The Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute Central Library was opened in the year 2005. It has been established to accommodate the needs of modern research, housing printed materials and a virtual library. Presently we have our own collection of Total no. of books (General including reference)- 33,995. We subscribe to 6 international full text e-resources, namely, APS (13 journals), IOP (76 journals), JSTOR (3165 journals), Taylor & Francis (1079 journals) & Springer (1438 journals), ACM Digital Library (140) and one database MathSciNet and registered to WEL & SAA for e-books with the help of the ‘UGC-INFONET Digital Library Consortium’ (now ‘e-Shodh Sindhu Consortium’). Till now we do not have our own e-books but we have subscried to EBSCO for the same year and we have also taken the membership of DELNET for e-journals . Except EBSCO and Down to Earth the access to all the e-resources are IP-based.
The details of membership is given below :
|Details of memberships||Details of subscriptions||Name of service subscribed to||No of e-resources with full text access||Validity period||Whether remote access provided? (Yes / No)|
|JSTOR||Annual||e- journal||3165||1 Year||No|
|APS||Annual||e- journal||13||1 Year||No|
|IOP||Annual||e- journal||76||1 Year||No|
|MathSciNet||Annual||e- journal||1 Database||1 Year||No|
|Springer||Annual*||e- journal||1438||1 Year||No|
|ACM Digital Library||Annual*||e- journal||140||1 Year||No|
|Taylor & Francis||Annual*||e-journal||1079||1 Years||No|
|DELNET||Annual*||e- journal||5000+||1 Year||No|
|WEL||Annual*||e-book||42 lacs||1 Year||No|
|SAA||Annual*||e-book||4.5 million pages||1 Year||No|
|DownToEarth||Annual*||E-magazine||full text access||3 Years||YES|
Other relevant information:
We permit Science (M.Sc. in Maths, Physics, Comp. Sc & Big Data Sc.) and Philosophy students to issue up to 5 books & Sanskrit Students are permitted to issue upto 20 books at a time, and they can keep them for up to 6 months. 14 computers dedicated to the service of students for Internet surfing at any time during library hours (9:30 am to 5:30 pm). With the online catalogue (http://lib.rkmvu.ac.in/), users can search for books from anywhere around the world and can check whether or not a particular book is available. Since we have an open access policy, students, researchers, and faculty members are able to browse the shelves themselves and select the books they want. Since we issue books with the bar code scanner, there is almost no wait time for issuing books. A noise free reading zone has been established for the students in the library. A new Career Guidance Section (GATE/NET/JRF etc) has been introduced for the students, from which they may issue one book from their own quota. Library personnel are always ready to serve patrons.
Floor area of the library: 2 floors, each of which is 30m x 30m (i.e. 900 sqm).
Details of any modern technologies deployed in library (like the detector in the main entrance): RFID and Bar Code technology for streamlining the circulation process, and a user friendly KOHA library management software for easy searching.
Detail of any special types/categories of books or content: We have 838 rare books on Sanskrit, Philosophy & Religion yet to be catalogued, 129 manuscripts and 331 CD/DVD. We have initiated NPTEL program to facilitate the students e-learning through online Web and Video courses of various streams. There is a new facility started for our users to get remote access of EBSCO e-books(1,70,000+) and a magazine namely ‘DownToEarth’.
Among other Infrastructures & facilities newly introduced in the Library are the following:
- Separate Reference section with 1075 books
- Reading room which accommodates 58 users at a time,
- Six more computers (Total – 14) for surfing the internet,
- Installation of RFID and Bar code technology for quick automated circulation to save time for users,
- Installation of Smoke detector with alarm & Fire extinguisher.
- Interior decoration with window curtains.
- Modernization of the Information/Circulation Desk.
- To inspire students, we have placed a portrait of Swami Vivekananda with quotation at the entrance to the library.
- Placement of Low height(3’6”) book racks to allow users to get more space, natural air and light.
- Photocopier cum printer & scanner machine as well as a special high quality scanner installation.
- Filtered drinking water service is available near the entrance to the library.
- Career Guidance Section to provide books and other relevant materials to the students to prepare for competitive exams.
- Automated Library entry is now very time-efficient. To enter the Library, users do not need to sign in manually. Users just have to show their University ID cards (RKMVU) at the entrance.
- New books are being displayed at the New Arrival Section to generate interest in users.
- The Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) informs users of the availability of books and other library resources. Users can search for books through the KOHA library management software
- Printed periodicals / journals section have been introduced.
- Library extended to the 2nd floor to provide more free space and to provide extra study space for students.
- Comfortable seating arrangement has been provided inside the stacks area for individual study.
- For the need of the users a Property counter has been introduced.
- WIFI / Internet facility available inside the library.
The facilities forecasted to be implemented in the near future are as follows.
- To attract users, databases and e-resources will be linked to the Home Page of the University Website.
- Lounge Area for students & faculty members to sit and discuss academic topics in a relaxed way.
- Digital Library Section for users to access information on WWW, E-resources, etc.
- In the Central Library, air-conditioners will be installed to offer conducive environment for the readers as well as a controlled environment for the invaluable books to be preserved.
- Electronic screens at the entrance of the Central Library to display newly procured books.
List of Journals & Magazines subscribed for the year 2017-18 :
|Serial No.||Name of the Magazines||Language||Periodicity|
|3||Competition in Focus||English||Monthly|
|6||Employment News (Newspaper)||English||Weekly|
|13||Jnan O Vijnan||Bengali||Monthly|
|14||Kishor Jnan Vijnan||Bengali||Monthly|
|33||Down To Earth(print + online)||English||Monthly|
|34||E4Y Science Reporter||English||Monthly|
List of Journals :
|Serial No.||Name of the Journals||Language||Periodicity|
|4||Business Analytics & Intelligence||English||Bi-annual|
|5||Network & Information Security||English||Bi-annual|
|6||Journal of Comp. Sc. & Inf. Tech.||English||Bi-annual|
|7||Distributed & Cloud Computing||English||Bi-annual|
|8||Science & Culture||English||Bimonthly|
|9||Anantaa : Sanskrit Journal||Hindi & English||Bimonthly|
|10||SRELS Journal of Inf. Management||English||Bimonthly|
List of e-Journals :
|Serial No.||Name of the Journal||Language|
|6||ACM Digital Library||English|
|7||Taylor & Francis||English|
|8||Business Analytics & Intelligence||English|
|9||Network & Information Security||English|
|10||Distributed & Cloud Computing||English|
|11||Journal of Comp. Sc. & Inf. Tech.||English|
|12||SRELS journal of Inf. Management||English|
|13||DELNET (5000+ e-journal)||English|
List of e- books :
|Serial No.||Name of the e-books||No. of e-books||Language|
|2||SAA||4.5 million pages||Various|