The vision of the University is the actualization of Swami Vivekananda’s educational vision of harmoniously blending the best elements of the knowledge pursuits of the East and the West and to impart ‘man-making’ and character-building education to the youths so that they would not be only acquire knowledge and skills, but also become men and women of wholesome character, with ‘heart to feel, head to think, hands to work’ (bhakti, jnana, karma harmoniously blended), possessed of the qualities of integrity, truthfulness, honesty, purity, selflessness, feeling for the suffering and the underprivileged, etc. Swami Vivekananda wanted a harmonious blend of the Sanatana Bharatiya Jnana Sampradaya-Parampara (Eternal Indian Knowledge Systems and Tradition—its spiritual wisdom and remarkable insights into the whole spectrum of human knowledge) with the modern scientific and technological knowledge of the Western world.
‘Thrust Areas’ chosen—Raison de’tre
Swami Vivekananda prophesied on the eve of his passing away on 4 July 1902 that “the spiritual wave that has come to Belur [Math] will last for fifteen hundred years and it shall be a great University. Do not think I imagine it; I see it.” He also said on the very last day of his life in the mortal frame that: “Keeping the ancient Indian spiritual ideal and rooted in it, and blending it harmoniously with modern science and technology, we should establish a University at Belur Math.” This University therefore, bearing Swami Vivekananda’s hallowed name is a humble attempt by Ramakrishna Mission to actualize his vision. The various ‘thrust areas’ of the University have been chosen keeping in mind the above vision of Swami Vivekananda. The motivation for the choice of the ‘thrust areas’ came essentially from the following considerations:
- These ‘thrust areas are in a sense ‘gap areas’ in the sense that these areas scarcely receive attention in most of the conventional Universities in India.
- These ‘thrust areas’ are meant to directly benefit the common man, particularly the underprivileged and the rural/tribal sections of the society, thereby fostering social commitment of higher education institutions in India as taught by Swami Vivekananda (which aspect, interestingly, the Ministry of Education and University Grants Commission have recently begun to emphasize).
- The Ramakrishna Mission has developed a high degree of expertise and a huge infrastructure and resources at least in some of these areas over several decades, almost a century in some cases, of its educational service.
- Harmonious blend of the best elements of the East and the West—Western science and technology with the Ancient Indian Heritage, Sanatana Bharatiya Jnana Sampradaya-Parampara (Eternal Indian Knowledge Systems and Tradition).
The following ‘thrust areas’ have been chosen for the University bearing Swami Vivekananda’s hallowed name:
- (a) Disability Management and Special Education,
(b) General & Adapted Physical Education and Yoga
- Agriculture, Integrated Rural and Tribal Development
- Indian Heritage (spiritual, cultural, scientific, sports heritage) including values education for wholesome, integrated character building
- Fundamental and Applied Science education and research
- Environment and Disaster Management
– – –
Memorandum of Association (MoA) of RKMVERI: read here
– – –
Schools/Faculties/Departments/Divisions running various Academic Programmes at the Belur Main Campus and the ‘Off-Campus’ Centres across the country through which the above ‘thrust areas’ are operationalized:
The Deemed University has the following Campuses, each of them housing Specialized Faculties conducting various academic programmes to operationalize the above ‘thrust areas’ with the approval of the University Grants Commission, the Ministry of Education, Government of India as well as the various Regulatory Bodies/Agencies:
- Belur Main Campus: Mathematical Sciences (Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science including Data Science), Indian Heritage (Sanskrit, Indian spiritual, cultural and scientific heritage, Yoga, Dhrupad Sangeet, Indian classical music), Sports Science.
- Coimbatore Campus: Disability Management and Special Education, General & Adapted Physical Education and Yoga, Agriculture and Rural Development, Computer Science and Applications, Data Science, Business Analytics.
- Ranchi Campus: Agriculture, Rural & Tribal Development, Agricultural Sciences with thrust on organic farming.
- Narendrapur Campus: Agriculture & Rural Development, Integrated Rural Development and Management, Agricultural Bio-technology, Medical Biotechnology (in collaboration with Ramakrishna Mission Sevapratishthan Hospital, Kolkata), Molecular Biology, Pharmocognosy, Environment and Disaster Management.
The various academic programmes are run by the following ‘Schools’ housing certain specialized Faculty Centres located in the various Campuses mentioned above:
- School of Rehabilitation and Sports Sciences
- School of Agriculture and Rural Development
- School of Indian Heritage
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Environment and Disaster Management
- School of Biological Sciences
In recognition of our unique thrust areas to create the human resource in the form of trained teachers for disability management, UNESCO has honoured us by creating a Chair in the field of ‘Inclusive Adapted Physical Education and Yoga’ to promote this unique area. In appreciation of the good work in this area, UNESCO has recently extended the Chair for another term of four years. Also, in recognition of our social commitment, the University has been awarded full membership of an organization called GUNI (Global University Network for Innovation), a Europe-based global organization networking Universities across the globe working with social commitment.
It is a matter of joy and gratification that National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has awarded us the highest grade of A++ with Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) 3.66 out of 4 (just a wee bit less than Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, which got a CGPA of 3.67) making us achieve the distinction of ranking SECOND in the whole country among Universities accredited in the Revised Accreditation Format up to March 2018.
The details of the ‘Faculties’ and the academic programmes under the various ‘Schools’ being run by the University in its various Campuses are as follows:
School of Rehabilitation and Sports Sciences
Disability Management and Special Education with the following Faculties:
- Faculty of Disability Management and Special Education, and
- Faculty of General & Adapted Physical Education and Yoga, located at Ramakrishna Mission Centre in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu,
- Department of ‘Sports Science and Yoga’ at Belur main campus
The above Faculties/Department are running M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Sports Science, M.A. and Ph.D. in Yoga, B.Ed., M.Ed., Integrated (B.Ed.+M.Ed.) in Intellectual Disability, M.Phil., and Ph.D., Integrated (M.Phil.+Ph.D.), Diploma, Advanced Diploma in Special Education, Indian Sign Language Interpretation, Assistive Technology; B.Sc. in Physical Education, Health Education and Sports, B.P.Ed., M.P.Ed., M.Phil., and Ph.D., Diploma, PG Diploma programmes in General and Adapted Physical Education and Yoga, Special Olympics, Fitness, Yoga, Ancient Indian Sports (Kalaripayattu).
School of Agriculture and Rural Development
Agriculture, Rural & Tribal Development, with following Faculties:
- Faculty of Agriculture, Integrated Rural Development and Management, Agricultural Bio-technology, located at Ramakrishna Mission Centre at Narendrapur, Kolkata, West Bengal, and
- Faculty of Agriculture, Integrated Rural & Tribal Development, Agricultural bio-technology, located at Ramakrishna Mission Centre at Ranchi, Jharkhand,
- Faculty of Agricultural Research and Education at Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
The above Faculties are running M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in ‘Agriculture and Rural Development’, ‘Rural Development and Management’, B.Voc. in Sustainable Agriculture, ‘Agriculture, Rural and Tribal Development’, ‘Agricultural Bio-technology’; Diploma in Organic Farming, B.Sc. in Agriculture, M.Sc. (Ag.) in Genetics & Plant Breeding, M.Sc. (Ag.) in Agronomy, PG Diploma in Food Technology, Ph.D. in Agricultural Biotechnology, Agriculture and Rural Development.
School of Indian Heritage
Indian Spiritual, Cultural, Scientific and Sports Heritage (including Values Education) with the programmes in the following areas:
- Sanskrit Studies and Research,
- Indian Spiritual, Cultural and Scientific Heritage,
- Yoga Studies and Research,
- Classical Music with special emphasis on Dhrupad,
- Values Education
- Bengali Studies and Research
- Philosophical Studies (Western and Eastern, with special emphasis on Vedanta, Yoga, Sankhya and Ramakrishna-Vivekananda philosophy)
The programmes being run in the above areas include: Sanskrit Studies and Research (Integrated 5-year M.A. programme completely taught in Sanskrit medium, Ph.D. in Sanskrit with special reference to Vedanta and Vyakarana), Research in Philosophy and Bengali (Ph.D. in selected areas in these subjects, focussing on Ramakrishna-Vivekananda, various School of Indian Philosophy, that is, darshanas), Diploma and Certificate Courses in Spiritual Heritage of India like the Upanishads, Bhagavad-Gita, Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Srimad-Bhagavatam, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Ramakrishna-Vivekananda literature, and other ancient Sanskrit scriptures. Research in philosophy and Sanskrit has been greatly facilitated by the creation of ‘Swami Abhedananda Chair’ by the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India with a permanent Corpus Fund.
School of Mathematical Sciences
Fundamental Science Education and Research with the following Departments:
- Department of Mathematics,
- Department of Computer Science and Applications (including Data Science),
- Department of Physics.
These Departments are located at the Belur main campus, and at Coimbatore Centre and are running M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D. programmes in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science and Applications and Big Data Analytics.
It may be recalled in this connection that it was Swami Vivekananda who inspired Sir Jamshedji Tata to start an Institute in India for fundamental science education and research during their travel together in the same ship to Chicago in 1893. The result of this dialogue between these two great minds and great sons of India is the present ‘Indian Institute of Science’ at Bengaluru, which is the pride of Indian science, a globally acknowledged premier Institute devoted to research and education in fundamental sciences.
School of Environment and Disaster Management
M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in ‘Environment and Disaster Management’ located at Ramakrishna Mission Centre at Narendrapur, Kolkata, West Bengal. This programme is being supported by European Commission in a collaborative venture through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU). The Government of West Bengal has created a Swami Vivekananda Chair in ‘Environment and Disaster Management’ to reinforce and strengthen the various programmes in this important area.
School of Biological Sciences
The Department of Biomedical Science and Technology under this School conducts M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in Medical Biotechnology, Microbiology, etc. Integrated 5-year M.Sc. (3-year B.Sc. Hons + 2-year M.Sc.) programmes in the following two important areas, wherein trained personnel are the urgent need of the hour, are being planned and will be started from July-August 2022: (i) Medical Laboratory Science Technology, (ii) Medical Critical Care Science and Technology. The venues of these programmes are the Narendrapur Campus and Ramakrishna Mission Sevapratishthan Campus at Kolkata. The field of Biomedical Science and Technology, which is becoming increasingly important on account of the Covid-19 pandemic, is now the focus of special attention of our Deemed University. The specialized areas in this field which are emerging and exciting are: medical laboratory technology, critical care science and technology, immunology, digital biology and bioinformatics, image analysis in the medical field, etc. Academic programmes (postgraduate and research) in these areas are being planned for the future.
As is well known, Swami Vivekananda wanted a harmonious blend of the Sanatana Bharatiya Jnana Parampara (Ancient Indian Knowledge Tradition, its spiritual wisdom and remarkable insights into the whole spectrum of human knowledge) with the modern scientific and technological as well as philosophical and mathematical knowledge of the Western world. RKMVERI Deemed University established in his hallowed name is striving to achieve this unique blend by setting up the Schools of Indian Heritage, Mathematical Sciences, Rehabilitation and Sports Sciences, Environment and Disaster Management, Agriculture and Rural Development and Biological Sciences.
In addition to the above, RKMVERI has stated the following two new Centres under the School of Indian Heritage, namely:
- VIVEKA-VYASA (Vivekananda Vedanta-Yoga-Adhyayana-Samshodhana-Alaya), that is, Vivekananda Centre for Study and Research in Vedanta and Yoga), with emphasis on research and publications on Indian philosophy cross-referenced with Western Philosophy, Yoga psychology emerging areas in philosophy like Care Ethics, Humanistic Ethics, Environmental Ethics, Earth as the Mother, etc.
- Vivekananda Centre for Consciousness Study and Research with emphasis on the theoretical study of the ancient Vedanta and Yoga texts relating to Consciousness or Chaitanya as well as exploration through scientific experimentation on the veracity of some of the claims made in these ancient texts.
The activities of these two Centres have been largely facilitated by the ‘Swami Abhedananda Chair’ established at the University by the Government of India, through its Ministry of Culture, with a permanent corpus fund. The Chairholder, besides conducting serious activities, will actively be involved in publications of books and journals. Two journals, one at the level of the research scholars and another at the level of undergraduate and postgraduate students, fully in Sanskrit, called PRAJNALOKA and PRATIBHALOKA respectively are published by the Department of Sanskrit and Philosophy under the School of Indian Heritage. One more journal called PRAJNANAM which is presently tri-lingual (Sanskrit, Bengali and English) caters to students of various Colleges and University students.
To promote research in the field of Biological Sciences, a new Centre called JIVAN has been started. A brief description of JIVAN is given in the Note below:
JIVAN (Jiva-Vijnan-Anweshan-Niketan)—Centre for Research in Biological Sciences
In collaboration with Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratishthan, Kolkata
JIVAN is a research initiative of the School of Biological Sciences of RKMVERI Deemed University, in collaboration with Ramakrishna Mission Sevapratishthan (a 600-bed General Hospital nearly 90 years old located in Kolkata). Its objective is to bring together biological scientists with vast research experience in laboratories of reputed Institutes and the medical doctors working in the field in order to create a synergy, taking on board eminent statisticians and computer scientists also to explore the fascinating emerging areas like the use of digital image analysis and artificial intelligence techniques in the medical field. The following Five Working Groups in the various important areas of Biological Sciences are actively engaged in working out the plans and programmes for research, teaching-training, extension services under JIVAN:
- Cardiology & Metabolic Disorder
- Hematology & Hemato-Oncology
- Medical Statistics and Digital Data Analytics
Each of the above Groups has, on an average, 5 persons who are biological scientists who are teaching and research faculty of the University as well as practising medical doctors interested in medical and biological research. The Statistics Group comprises mathematicians and statisticians from the reputed Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, and some of them are computer scientists engaged in research in medical image analysis. Read more about JIVAN
Extension/Outreach Service Activities:
- VIVEKDISHA–An ICT-based Network of the University.
- Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs):
- ‘Sasya Shyamala’ KVK located at Arapanch (under the Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Narendrapur Centre, 24-Parganas District)—already established and functioning for more than five years
- ‘Dhaanyaganga’ KVK under Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Sargachhi, Murshidabad District—already established and functioning for the past three years
Page updated on: 24 March 2022